Name of the Lab: Intelligent Systems Design Lab (UETP)
Dr. Gul Muhammad Khan
Electrical Engineering Department,
UET Peshawar, Jamrud Road, Peshawar.
Phone: +92-91-9222104, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sohail Yusuf, CS & IT, UET Peshawar- 03361199859
- Arbab Masood, Computer System Engineering Department, UET Peshawar- 03465942146
Goal: The main focus of this lab will be to target product oriented research targeting Safe City. City safety is normally affected by the following three causes: Natural Disaster, Manmade Disasters-Accidents, terrorist and other malicious activities and Environment. Safe city project propose AI based solutions in the following forms: Smart Disaster Management, Autonomous Event (threat, accident, malicious activity) Detection and Smart Environment.
- AI based solutions for Safe City, Safe Roads and Disaster Management
- Intelligent system design lab will not only be performing AI product oriented research, but will also provide an environment for conducting fundamental research, attracting foreign grants and providing innovative solutions to the indigenous problems.
Description of Lab:
This facility will help establishing a state of the Art environment for Intelligent Systems design. Intelligent systems design is a field that provides smart solutions to not only natural and social-economic problems but also provide optimum design matrix for policy making. The application areas span across all the disciplines starting from:
- Simple crop estimation in agriculture to foreign currency,
- Stock markets decisions,
- Weather forecasting for Meteorological Department,
- Flood prediction, earthquake disaster scale prediction,
- Traffic scheduling for both vehicular and Internet traffic,
- Electricity load management,
- Adaptive controllers, smart buildings, optimal energy mix for renewables,
- Smart chip design, smart cars,
- Social media trends, sales forecast,
- Smart Doctor (medical diagnoses of various disease),
- Bio-mechanical devices and sensors designs,
- Mineral and other resources estimation.
This lab will not only be involved in applied research but also in fundamental research providing smart algorithms for other fields capable of learning to learn, computational developmental and plastic networks for dynamic systems and intelligent machines and robots. The main project Safe City has a huge national and international market because of the vulnerable situation in city environment. We have already signed a MoU with Chinese company, Globle Safety Inc. to collaborate in this area of research and in process of negotiation with Home department, Disaster and environment.
Based on the available trained experts research will be performed in the following areas of AI: power and energy forecasting, speech processing and source separation, biomedical computing, industrial automation, fundamental sciences, communication networks, power and energy, financial market forecasting and business decisions, social sciences, cloud computing, Optimum circuit and System design, evolvable hardware, Bio-inspired computation and big data. The proposed center will provide a facility for researchers in Pakistan to undertake world-class research in AI that provide solutions to diverse natural and social science problems. Detailed goals are as follows:
- Smart Sensor: To develop algorithms for machines that imitates the sound source separation and processing ability of humans. This will enable multiple application fields such as improved automatic speech recognition systems in smart phones, other hand-held devices and computers, hearing aids or cochlear implants, human-robot interaction, surveillance or forensic applications, and within the healthcare and assisted living context in terms of human fall detection.
- Learning to Learn Systems: To conduct research that helps building systems capable of acting on par with an organic intelligence, with the ability to think, reason and compute, be self-aware and imagine possibilities, is the ambitious goal of General or Strong AI. To direct research in directions helping in designing systems that can act rationally by responding with actions, to specific percepts from the environment. Most of the AI research is mainly data driven, and they yet to come up with ability to think and act.
- Smart environments: Through sensory networks and Internet of Things, Creating smart environment.
- Smart Business: Providing prediction models for various businesses including stock exchange and other establishments to help them take appropriate business decisions.
- Smart Industry: Provide prototyping resources and facilities for process control industry to establish intelligent sensory and actuator systems for complex processes in variety of malfunctioning and other unusual situations.
- Smart Doctor: To acquire bio-medical signals and images and applying AI algorithms for detection of underlying physiological conditions, thus providing fast and reliable diagnostic facility for health care providers. The most important diseases to be diagnosed are the cancers, cardiovascular diseases, brain and nervous disorders like epilepsy, Systems for rehabilitating paraplegics.
- Smart Society: Providing environment for social science research such as intelligent execution inter communal requests in diverse environment obtaining optimal responsive system to provide the basic services.
- AI-based Games: Providing environment for machine intelligence that could operate in hazardous and life-threatening conditions such as mines. Applied research in the field of virtual reality with focus on solving problems in national context. The Centre will mostly be conducting applied research to target both indigenous as well as International AI Challenges.